The OEM/Custom Filter Sales Engineer is an air filtration specialist that can assist various product manufacturing companies in designing and procuring customer air filters. Representative product applications include industrial dust collection equipment, surgical smoke evacuators, animal testing cages, mining equipment, and more.
The successful candidate will be given a book of business with existing customers, and be charted to hunt and secure new customers.
Customers can be located anywhere in the US, though the logistics requirements of filter manufacturing will generally limit sales opportunities to 600 mile radius from the factory.
Opportunities identified typically involve the Sales Engineeer to codify customer requirements, arrange for samples to be created, develop quotes, and ensure the company’s proposed products will meet customer needs. The Sales Engineer will quarterback the company’s internal resources – engineering, costing, manufacturing, pricing – as necessary to develop the company’s response to an opportunity.
Once a customer’s product is in production, the Sales Engineer is responsible for validating the customer’s needs are being met and to represent the voice of the customer within operations.
The ideal candidate is a fast learner, self-starter, and highly motivated by the “hunt” for new customers. He/she is also a team player, forming good working relationships with the internal resources whose support is needed to capture opportunities.
Rochester NY or Buffalo NY
- Create and deliver a growing book of business within an established territory:
- Manage a portfolio of account opportunities from introduction to delivery.
- Establish strong relationships with customer targets in procurement and engineering. Position oneself as a trusted adviser to the client’s business.
- Develop and drive the account strategy for securing production orders.
- Manage the scoping, proposal development, and deal closing processes for the opportunities created, and provide clear direction to the RP Fedder team supporting those activities.
- Manage customer expectations and address any concerns or issues.
- Identify and nurture relationships with manufacturer’s reps that will extend the sales engineer’s geographic reach and customer targets.
- Provide and maintain updated customer engagement activity in the company CRM, including customer information, contacts, selling activity, bids, and forecasts.
- Become a subject matter expert in the field of air filtration sufficient to educate and advise customers.
Experience & Skills
- 5+ years (10+ yrs desired) of demonstrated success in sales roles selling into an OEM’s supply chain, or experience selling filtration products into any environment.
- Track record of success selling commodity products into competitive markets, with exemplary customer service and responsiveness, as well as competitive prices.
- Engineering degree preferred.
- Strong business acumen – ability to form market strategies and execute them.
- Professional presence and ability to command respect with managers both internally and within customer organizations.
- Technical acumen – able to grasp technical subjects easily and, once trained, be capable of engaging customer-users as technical peers.
- Self-starter, heavily motivated by the “hunt” of a sale. Proven closer.
- Highly organized; able to prioritize efforts for maximum sales impact.
- Creative problem solver.
- Excellent communications skills (presentation, written and oral).
- Strong teamwork, collaboration, and leadership skills.
Comprehensive benefits, including bonuses, health, disability, and life insurances, 401k plan with a 4% max. company match, and a fantastic, collaborative team of smart, high-integrity, hardworking professionals who are passionate about serving our customers.